Monday, January 11, 2010

Big Sur/Highway 1


Sometimes when we travel we debate the merits of one road versus another.  Time spent driving and gas expenses get in the way of a clear understanding of our purpose.  So it was with Highway 1 or the 101 for our trip to San Luis Obispo.  We made the right choice. Highway 1 was a drive that we will always remember not only for the scenery but also for the sheer drop offs and narrow road we crept along for a hundred miles.  Most of all it was spectacular for its ocean to mountain landscapes that had us uttering oh's and ah's at each turn of the road.  Off shore we saw occasional spouts of the Pacific Gray Whales migrating from the arctic to the waters of Baja California where they will calve and mate.




Valerie Williams told us to watch for the elephant seals that would be calving on the beaches along Highway 1.  We thought there might be a few visible on some distant rocky outcropping.  When we first noticed them they seemed more like large uniform boulders scattered along the shoreline.  Hundreds, maybe thousands, began to show up as we made our way.  They seem unaffected by the hordes of people, us included, who walk along a boardwalk just above the calving/breeding beaches.


1 comment:

Barbara Anderson said...

Wow, Toni & BK...it must have been a beautiful site...all that love going on. Quick story about my first ocean experience. We drove the ride you are taking now back in about 1976. We stopped and I rushed down to the beach - such huge waves...the closer I got, the bigger they looked until they were right on top of me and I ran. Like a dream, my feet felt so heavy
and eventually it got me and down I went. Don took a picture of me running and I'll try to find it. I will never forget that drive as long as I live. We stayed in Carmel and ate at the Hog's Breath Inn. Beautiful!

Love and hugs, Barbara & Don