Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More Blog Fodder




We had heard about Gila Cliff Ruins since arriving in Silver City and today made the journey north about forty miles to view this unbelievable site.  People occupied this particular canyon for 10,000 years which I believe predates the current presidential campaign though at some times I loose track of time.  
As you can see by the picture the structures have held up well and have not been retouched by the park service save a few walls that were vandalized.  These ruins were abandoned at about 1200 AD and the inhabitants disappeared.  The belief is that they actually over hunted depleting the food resources which forced to move elsewhere.  Who knows?  
After the ruins we hiked to the confluence of the Middle Fork of the Gila River and Little Bear Canyon via Little Bear which was a narrow vertically walled water way, dry except for flash floods.  "Oh honey did you check the weather before we left?"  
"No I thought you would."  
Back home safe and sound after a beautiful day in the New Mexico Gila Wilderness without a hitch.  Actually the road was the most challenging part of the day.  Forty miles takes about 1.5 hours of serious concentration.  

2 comments:

Barbara Anderson said...

Dear Toni & BK,
Just when I think you can't be having even more fun, you surprise me. I wish I'd been a fly on the wall while you were navigating your 1.5 miles of 'serious' concentration. What a polite way to put your adventure in perspective.

Happy Birthday, Toni and Happy Sailing!

Love, Barbara & Don

Valerie said...

sorry- i think i lost my comment- here it is again...

Hi BK and Toni,

Just checking in and getting my dose of worldly adventure. Jackson weather cannot make up its mind today: some sun? yes, but not much- how about rain? sure, we'll take a bit of that. Toss in some wind - it has the look of spring to the misplaced idealist - I'll have what you're having! Keep those sun filled stories coming.
Hugs and Kisses, Valerie